Sunday, December 05, 2004

You know you got em, or.. It must suck to be Bob Garrett

Thousands of people have written me emails (bob@bobnarley.com) thanking me for making them laugh, or keeping them informed on important topics that nobody else was covering. I find it very rewarding when I hear that my comedy has impacted somebody's live in a positive way. It's the reason I do radio.

On the other hand, I have also been sent emails from people who hate what I do. They tend to rant and rave, saying the rudest things, that they would never say to you in person. We call these people Flamers, they hide behind the cloak of the Internet and pretend to be bad asses. I suppose that the more people your show reaches every day, the more this will happen. It is inevitable.

Some dj's have a very hard time allowing Flamers comments to pass through them, and seem to take the negative comments personal. Sometimes this can effect their show, and that is one thing should never be allowed to happen. I do not have this problem. To me, Flamers are a sign that your show works, that it is reaching a wide audience, and if nothing else, it's effecting them enough for them to take the time to write and tell you how you made them feel. To a shock jock, this is the best thing that could happen, it means your right on target. Even though I'm not a shock jock my any means, I still enjoy the fact that I have had this effect on somebody.

Today, I received a Flamers email, not from an old listener, but from a DJ that worked at the competing rock station, WJBX in Fort Myers. His name is Bob Garrett.

Even though I left Real Rock 92.5 over 3 months ago, it seems that this moron still can't get me out of his head... And Man, I love that! I receive nasty Flaming emails from him about once a month, with very colorful wording.

It should be noted that he never said one word to me in person during the whole 3 years I was working in Fort Myers. Imagine that?

It should also be stated for the record that Bob Garrett and his partner had picked a fight on the air with me a year or so ago, only after they thought I had been fired. O man, they talked some serious smack that morning, only to find out that I had only been moved to afternoons. They started an on air war that day, and it back fired for them big time. You see, all the talk they did about me on their station in the morning sent their listeners to me in the afternoon. It was beautifull.

You can hear a song I wrote about them on my website, it's called "The Three Dollar Bill Boys".
Here is a link to: The Three Dollar Bill Boys
More can be found at http://www.bobnarley.com

Here is the most recent email that Bob Garrett wrote me. I believe he must have written it after he saw a post on my website informing my fans that I had turned down my first off air gig offer in Chicago.

As my father use to say, "if they're not talking shit about you, you're doing something wrong"

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Garrett [mailto:garrett99x@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 3:25 PM
To: bob@bobnarley.com
Subject: Eat Shit, Fucker

Hey Douche:You have no gig! What a fucking surprise!!! Your big fucking mouth having trouble talking your no talent ass into a job somewhere?You can come back here and I'll pay you 5 bucks an hour to hold my phlegm bucket while I'm on the air. I'll even make you part of the show.Your new name will be "Out-of-Gas Bitch", and you can be the guy on the show that yells out "Faggot... Pussy" over and over again, 'cuz as we both know, that is SOME REAL FUNNY SHIT!!!!!!
Anyway, thanks for your time.
Miss you.

Bob Garrett
Safety First!

Man, it must suck to be him, to be so upset with somebody for so long, even after they are 1600 miles away.

I hope one day, every DJ has this same effect on your competition. That's how you know you got them right where you want them.

I miss you too Mr. Garrett! :)