Sunday, October 16, 2005

The One Year Anniversary of my Blog

I can’t believe it, I have been writing this Blog for a year now. Man, time flies like crazy.

A very good friend of mine, production guru and fellow Irishmen Kevin Dunn, once said to me “If you can do something for a year, you will do it for life”. Of course, at the time we were not talking about Blog’s we were actually talking about my new Kayak, however I think it still applies.

It’s amazing to look back at my first entry and see how far I have come in the last year.

October 11th, 2004 – Lets Get it Started

“..Anybody thinking that this industry is a good idea should be subject to an immediate lobotomy.

I'm going to post information about my progress in this crazy career, as well as some insight into the creative process, all in the hope that I might read it again at a later date and realize that it's time to get a real job.

…Now it's time for me to get started on my new demo.”

One year ago I had just moved back to my hometown of Barrington Illinois, 40 miles outside of Chicago. I had quit a perfectly good radio gig where I had great ratings and a huge following in order to follow my dream of working in Chicago radio. It was a HUGE gamble.

I had a hell of time working on that demo that I started that day. I quickly realized that the content rich radio show that I performed in SW Florida would not work or be as welcome here in Chicago. Hundreds of hours of editing and listening finally paid off, and I did get the job I gambled for, and even scored it with the very station that I moved all this way to work for, WLUP The Loop. One year later and this afternoon I will take the METRA train downtown to do my 6 hour weekend shift in Chicago radio. How cool is that?

Saturday, November 13, 2004 - PODCASTING AND THE FUTURE OF ON DEMAND AUDIO

Thanks to my long time friend and Apple Computer fanatic Neil, I was informed about Podcasting from the very start. It seemed like an absolutely excellent idea to me and I began production of my first comedy Podcast which wasn’t launched until December 13th. At the time, Adam Curry and I were the only two professional broadcasters using the medium for our shows. Today, Podcasting is huge, scaring the hell out of broadcasters and adopted by millions of listeners from all over the globe.

One year later and my Podcasts are already the most listened to audio on my website. I receive positive emails about the shows everyday from listeners from as far away as Scotland and even Australia. My wife doesn’t understand why I do it as I have never made a damn dollar from it, but I know why I do it, because it’s fun and FCC FREE! Fuck the FCC!

To listen or subscribe to my popular The Bob Narley Show Podcast – Click Here


Wednesday, December 08, 2004 – Second City

“..Last night I completed my first level of classes at the famous Second City here in Chicago. The whole experience has been just fantastic! I can't wait for the next level to begin in January.”

I had actually started taking my first Second City Improv class in October. My old radio partner Puck had suggested it to me as a good idea. Boy, was he right! The whole experience was nothing short of amazing. I would highly recommend it to anybody, especially radio personalities.

A year later and not only did I graduate from that Second City class, but I was offered a position by my teacher to perform with his pretigeious and well respected comedy improv group “The Cupid Players”. I will be starting rehearsals with these amazing artists in November and will begin performances on the main stage at Improv Olympic in December. From the school to the Improv Olympic Main Stage in one year. I couldn’t be more honored to work with such a talented group of performers. I only hope I can keep up.

It’s amazing how much can happen in a year. I took a lot of gambles and worked super hard twords all of my goals. I tried some new ideas and was lucky enough to have had them all pay off in one way or another. Sure, I’m broke, my credit card debt is near $60,000 and.. er .. um.. Shit! I’m Broke and have $60,000 in credit card debt!! Fuck! O well, at least I’ve accomplished some of my goals. Maybe my new goal should be to pay off those damn credit cards.

Like I said in my first post “..Anybody thinking that this industry is a good idea should be subject to an immediate lobotomy.”